View Single Post
Old 04-01-2023, 12:12 PM   #458
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We will see how far this initiative will go next year. The vast majority of players participated, several teams canceled the event and some teams "decisions" that resulted in everybody wearing them were all part of it in 2023.

The new NHLPA head had some interesting tidbits on the matter on this weeks piece from Elliot Friedman.

"He walked the line on players wearing Pride jerseys, saying, “The LGBTQ community shouldn't feel hockey players are turning their back on (them),” while adding, “If a player doesn’t want to wear a jersey in warmup, they shouldn't be forced to.”

Although he correctly pointed out a “supermajority” of the players are wearing them, the controversy over the few who haven’t and teams that made decisions for their rosters led commissioner Gary Bettman to suggest it’s something that will have to be evaluated in the offseason.

Does Walsh believe any jerseys should be mandatory?

“I want to talk to players about that," he said. "See how they feel ... and then with the league as well.”

As for the idea that any player who misses warmup shouldn’t be able to play, Walsh wouldn’t go there: “No, I don’t think that should be the case at all.”

It’s fair to wonder if more online “culture war” topics will spill into hockey. As former mayor of Boston and U.S. Secretary of Labor, Walsh recognizes that no matter what he says, people are going to dislike it. But, “As far as the game of hockey, it’s important that we are inclusive. People know they are welcome to be part of the game, we want them to be part of this game. Social media is going to be social media, people are going to use (their) platform to say whatever they want, and that’s fine. But I do think it’s important for us to be an inclusive game.”

My take is that the NHL will need to figure out where the player's actual position on this is and go from there with adjustments. They don't want the bad press or additional concerns being raised. Different dynamics at play and it isn't as simple as some people would like to think. I have no doubt that the majority of players are in favor but there is going to be people who feel different and or have their own personal limits.

Link to the article. https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...r-marty-walsh/
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote