View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 10:14 PM   #367
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
So If I decided this issue was near and dear to my heart, reserving more land for Parks inside the City as the City grows...

What would be the way to support this cause? It seems writing to my councilor would be simply one minor issue that is entangled in a longer planning issue, and if I understand the guidebook right, the progressive movement in the City is against me. The "fiscal right" probably doesn't want to pay and annex land for non-tax providing parks.

Is anyone, groups, NGO's for this?
The City (and policies of the guidebook) are decidedly pro preserving, improving and establishing parks. There is a strong emphasis in planning policy on public space.

We have a legislated requirement for 10% of all development plans for Municipal Reserve, of course. Many large new parks are the result of Environmental Reserve Policy, which renders lands undevelopable based on their environmental characteristics. We add a lot of hectares of new Environmental Reserves for parks every year.

There is a decided lack of large regional parks in the east side of the city - part of that has to do with the very flat land not naturally lending itself to Environmental Reserve. But there is a lot of discussion about how to rectify this imbalance.

If parks are near and dear - I would recommend Parks Foundation as a cause. The City regularly partners with them on the establishment and improvement of parks.

I am a Director in the planning department, so happy to answer various related questions.

Last edited by Bunk; 06-24-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post: