View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #29
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live relatively close to the DTES. Not in the thick of it but not far off. It has to the be the closest thing to hell I've seen in the developed world (I'm sure the ghettos of the third world are worse). And I'm only seeing the streets, I can't even imagine what's going on in some of the run down "hotels" and dilapidated buildings.
The sheer amount of human misery, insanity, and the cloud of negative energy is just unreal. I hear insane screaming from a few blocks away every night. I've literally had to sidestep junkies laying on the sidewalks as I walk over to an area like Gastown. Needles everywhere. Garbage flung around everywhere. I don't think I go a day without seeing drug paraphernalia laying around somewhere.

That being said, I don't feel particularly unsafe. It is unsettling though. Petty crime is a huge issue, and the cops can't due anything due to the volume of it.

Vancouver is like a supermodel with a big festering open wound on her forehead. Ignore that and she's amazing. I honestly feel like all people here can do at this point is shrug and ignore it as best as possible. I don't think any government has been able to get a good handle on it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote