View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 AM   #78
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There will always be cinderella teams that go on and win the cup and there will always be a group of contenders that are slowly replaced over a "cycle".

During the early 90's it was the Penguins, Chicago, LA, Boston. Then Avalanche, Devils, Detroit, Dallas and Philly gradually took over while the latter started to regress.

Detroit was good for a long time, but Pittsburg battled back, so did Chicago and the contender group was slowly replaced in to Chicage, Anaheim, SJ etc.

If you look at it in five year spans there is a pretty consistent group of teams that are competitive. Nashville, Penguins, San Jose have been very consistent for example.

I fully agree that there is more parity, but I disagree that it's completely random. I mean, nobody expected Carolina or Tampa Bay to win it in the past. Good teams win, and good teams find a way to handle the cap.

Edit:

Yes, there is one completely random parameter - the referees. As I watch the Swedish Elit League as well I can say that holy mother of God, the NHL has a refereeing problem. Best players in the world, but the officials are bush league. Just compare season vs play offs. Or worse, in game management - it's like they want to make a difference.

Last edited by Dajazz; 10-17-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote