View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #2113
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I work in Inglewood and while I'm generally for these developments, I get, and even share, some of these concerns.

Personally, my biggest issue is not necessarily one of height, but one of volume. I think what gives a good neighbourhood character is a certain eclectic mish-mash of different forms. You look at the character blocks in Inglewood (or any successful neighbourhood), and there's a dozen different buildings on every block, each with its own particular quirks, mistakes, and eras. Imperfection and variety of form is what gives it charm.

You can't replicate that feeling with these massive half or full-block developments, regardless of the height. They always end up being a little too master planned. Yes, they try their best to design in some variety, but it always feels fake, so you lose that eclectic experience.

I think the key is to prevent too much land from being conglomerated. I'd much rather have 4-6 taller buildings taking up a block, than one shorter monolith that takes up the whole thing.

I agree, most of the developments in Inglewood, Kensington, Marda Loop and 17th ave look out of place and change the street feel. Having said that something very different like the RNDSQR proposal might work in a Louvre pyramid kind of way
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: