View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #17
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The point made about resting top guys (Getzlaf in Anaheim, when he won the cup) Is an interesting one.

I wonder what the trend is for man games lost in a season for the cup winning team, and if there is any correlation. I think for a team like the Flames, you want your guys to be healthy. We want all hands on deck to make a deep run. But if you're a top team, a favorite, there must be some value in unplanned and unfortunate injuries to key players that allow them to rest and be ready to go for a deep run. If you look at Pittsburg last year, remember their western road trip and those "games of the year" and all that nonsense. We were patting ourselves on the back for going toe to toe with the best. Yet that team was missing some big pieces not named Crosby or Malkin.

This is a bit of a tangent, but its also the reason I don't 100% buy injuries as the excuse for the failure of the season where we met Chicago in the playoffs. Yes that team was decimated, but the key, core guys still played. A true contender doesn't blow a, 11 game division lead.

Its not something you can plan or secretly hope for, but I wonder if there is a correlation.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote