View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #25
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I'm glad someone is stepping up and taking the reigns on soccer in Canada when it was just kind of booted around before. I am worried that this takes away opportunities for the casual fan to get exposed to the sport and get hooked. Hopefully they can partner with the traditional networks for some of the games.
It's a HUGE catch 22 for Canadian soccer, you're absolutely right. The league is likely getting next to nothing from OneSoccer considering viewership. But the rub is who is watching CPL soccer in Canada with One Soccer?

A few thousand hardcore fans that stream and pay $10 a month for the service on a streaming device. What's your opportunity for casual fan growth with that strategy?

Pretty much only casual ticket buyers who then love it enough to buy a subscription to the streaming service.

That number is likely in the...hundreds? They would be way better off giving free rights to CBC, but they're a fledgling league so they'll likely take any small amount of money they can get. (maybe CBC wouldn't even stream a bunch of games for free).

I personally err on the side of gaining the causal fans at a loss in the early years as that's your expansion of ticket buyers and viewers later, but its not my money so it's easy to say. The league needs growth however.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-03-2020 at 09:40 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: