View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #3408
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think that's a good thing. I would imagine that it would work alongside the CanPL in some capacity and wouldn't be a competitor. The more development options in Canada, the better for everyone. CanPL, MLS, Canadian players, CanMNT, etc.

Despite what some may hope/believe, I still don't think that promotion and relegation will be the result of this, and that's how it needs to be. We simply don't have the population and structure for pro/rel like other countries do. No owner would ever go near a CanPL team if they could lose everything after one bad season. I could, however, see successful tier 2 teams making a good argument for joining CanPL. Almost like a development incubator for clubs/markets as well as players.

I don't even think that the MLS would be able to handle promotion and relegation. I like the concept on other continents, but you can't even compare the depth of the English Football Association with the American soccer pyramid, and especially the Canadian one. And that's not even getting onto the topic of geography.

I know this wasn't intended to be a promotion/relegation discussion, but I saw a few comments on the Twitter thread that got me started. Tangent over.