View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #13812
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Cap hits** not contracts. Giordano would be owed $5,000,000 more than Kessel with the same length.

Giordano, as you said, is not insignificantly older. He's going to be 35 entering this season. Is he still going to be worth 6.75M when he's 38? I'd easily bet on Kessel being worth 5M (actually salary) when he's 34.

But I'd do the trade moreso due to the team make up. RW depth of Ferland, Frolik, Brouwer has to be the worst in the league. And who do they have coming up? 24 year old Foo? 6th rounders Philips and Tuulola?

People complained, rightfully, that Brouwer shouldn't have got PP time but he's also the best right-handed shot they have because they have literally no one else when Versteeg went down. A pretty important factor even if his main goal was to stand in front of the net. Unless you want to count Lazar.

Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, Stone is far from an ideal 'top 4' with Giordano gone. But it's far better than their right wing depth. And more importantly, you have Valimaki, Fox, Andersson, Kylington.

It's a hockey trade, dealing from a position of strength to a fill a position of absolute weakness.

Why would that matter though? The more restricted resource is cap space, so I think we should judge him on his value with respect to that.