Thread: 2018 World Cup
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #26
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? I consider Belgium to be one of the strongest teams, albeit their omission of Naingollan seems short sighted, hes an effective weapon as a 'Plan B.'

BUt thats a scary good team, their only real issue is depth. Their starting XI is excellent.

I dont think Hazard or Lukaku really need to prove anything anymore and while their domestic seasons werent great, they can really turn it up at the World Cup.

Hazard is basically blackmailing Chelsea into signing players or he wont re-sign, but I see their opening lineup and its impressive.

In no particular order

Courtois
Alderweireld - Kompany - Vertonghen - Vermaelen
Hazard - De Bruyne - Dembele - Witsel
Lukaku - Benteke

I probably wouldnt have Lukaku and Benteke on at the same time, but thats a solid lineup and they still have some depth on the bench.

Thats a good team especially when you consider that KDB is going to be spraying passes to Hazard and Lukaku.

The Belgians are definitely in this with a shout, but Martinez does not inspire me.
I’m not disagreeing that they have some very talented players on their team, I’m saying they have few players who have done anything on the biggest stages of football. I don’t see many Champions league winners or high end champions league performers. I see a team that is similar to the team that lost to Wales in the euros. I think hazard has an awful attitude on the field often, and a player that has shown very little when the lights are brightest. De Bruyne has been immense domestically but is also a player that has failed to do much on the biggest stages. I see a lot of very good players but no player that I would consider a big game performer. You need those types of players in the word cup.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote