View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #108
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think part of the problem with the Flames' top line - at least in theory - is that they were always the focus for the other team. The Backlund line had a focus on shutting down the other top line, as well as being buried, so they can only contribute so much.

These are the things that I am most interested in for this upcoming season:

1) The Transition - Will the Flames return to being a quicker-transitioning team? Can Ward implement a system that allows them to transition quickly while still playing solid defence? Again, I liked Hartley's transition game and how the forwards would come back hard, but I hated the collapsing defence. Peters seemed to have a fairly good transition game for a while, but still with a bit too passive of a defensive system. Ward has really slowed down the transition (which is maddening to me).

2) Two scoring lines + a shutdown line? If Lindholm and Tkachuk can provide legitimate scoring this year, while having Backlund as the their line centre used in a shut-down role (but still putting up decent points), this team will go far. There is no way that Backlund shouldn't be considered a bona fide 2nd line centre - he produces at that rate even though he is absolutely buried in usage. His minutes will go down a bit this year (and also part of his production, unfortunately), and I imagine he will still face the very toughest minutes on the team and come out shining. Hopefully this is going to allow for more consistent secondary scoring and a team that is more difficult to shut down. I am really hoping this works.

3) The new faces - will Tanev come in and really contribute? He will not fill Brodie's shoes in terms of his transition and shot suppression game, but will he a strong defensive presence that can also move the puck? Will Leivo find chemistry with a line (and stay healthy)? How good is the PK going to be without Jankowski (underappreciated from that standpoint) and Frolik (though it seemed to be fine without Frolik after the trade). Gone are Frolik, Jankowski, Brodie and Hamonic - all of which were part of the PK. Hopefully the new faces and contribute there and save the more offensively capable forwards of putting in big minutes into the PK. Of course, Markstrom - really curious to see how he does on the Flames, and how the Flames play in front of him. That's the biggest change by far.

4) Ward's learning curve - I don't want to be negative on Ward. I am trying to be optimistic here. This will be his first full season as an NHL head coach. I am curious to see how he does, and what he has learned from last season. Will we see more in-game tweaks and adjustments? I really felt that with Peters in the Colorado series, he just wasn't able to make any adjustments or get that team to 'settle down'. I hope Ward provides both the strategy (systems, adjustments) as well as the leadership (I have always felt that coaches provide the most leadership, and serve as the team's resident shrink). Hopefully he has figured out how he wants this team to play given the changes and relative strengths and weaknesses, and is up for the challenge.

There are other things that I am really interested in seeing as well of course, but those are what I am most curious about. I think the Flames are built fairly well for what is essentially 10 game playoff series against each divisional opponent - enough skill and toughness to go around. These games are going to be emotionally charged (if not off the bat, then by game 3 or so).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote