View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #18
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I honestly don’t see them ever not being cared about. I go to a decent amount of shows, and while it’s often older people who actually own the cars, there’s a lot of youths kicking around. Car culture isn’t going anywhere, thankfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I just wonder if, well, a lot of these restorations are done by boomers that have some connection to the car in their past. People browsing these cars may find them interesting, but will they find them 30-50k interesting? And there just seems to be so many of them. Sure, some will end up in museums, but will individuals care enough to have garage space dedicated to a vehicle they take out a few times a year? And not every one is super special, like, what person born in 2000 is going to want a '65 Chevelle for $40k?
This is something that has been in the back of my mind over the last 5 or 10 years. I enjoy classic cars and go to a few shows or auctions and in general the market is pretty much senior citizen driven which is not surprising because they have a close connection to these cars and they have the money for restoration and upkeep. But it doesn't seem like their kids or grandkids have the same values are often times are more interested in the monetary value. I know a couple 30-40 year olds who have inherited some classics and they have been very quick to turn them over while the market is still hot.

Upkeep and maintenance could become very difficult and expensive as the wisdom dies out and the parts dry up. Finding a mechanic to tune or rebuild a carb might be impossible in 15 or 20 years.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote