View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #46
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering what they had to work with I think we got the best that they could give. A single 110 minute film was never going to do full justice to such an incredibly intricate series, but I feel frustratingly satisfied. I say that because I will ALWAYS want more of these characters, the setting, and delightfully baroque language. To me, Deadwood is the pinnacle of television.

**SPOILERS BELOW**

After how careful Milch and Company were to staying true to historical chronology, as best they could, it was a bit jarring to see Charlie Utter murdered. The real Utter left Deadwood, and there is no verifiable records of where he ended up other than evidence he was in Panama around 1913. However, it was the right choice for the plot of the film, as there were few characters as universally accepted and respected as Charlie. Probably the only other character revered in the same vein was Ellsworth, and his fate echoed into the film as well.

It was tough to see some characters had changed so much, but it all stayed true to what likely would have been each their paths after the conclusion of the series. Dan was more refined, Johnny appeared to establish himself as a key component of the Gem, and Doc Cochrane was mysteriously cured of Tuberculosis (but still the damn doc!). Joannie had taken over the Bella Union, although she seemed to be living a self-fulfilling prophecy in her misery and lack of direction, and there was barely a passing mention of Tolliver.

Bullock had softened and settled into a loving family life with Martha, Sol and Trixie were seamlessly brought back to life (you would swear Paula Malcomson hadn't left the role for 13 years). Alma levied her power to avenge Ellsworth and the camp in the only way she could, and Jane found some semblance of agency and redemption by returning to save both Joannie and Bullock. Even Wu was there to switch roles and counsel Swigen for once.

Hearst got his comeuppance. Humiliated, powerless, with a beating just short of death (which was suggested by Bullock about Commissioner Jarry in the second season).

Also, Garrett Dillahunt appeared in a cameo for his third role in the show, and somehow Con Stapleton wound up as the minister.

And then there's Swearengen. The life he lived ultimately killed him. Yet, as ruthless and domineering as he had been he still had those most important to him with him in the end. However, this time there was no longer the guise of Al Swearengen. It was just Al, dying and needing comfort, accepting his softness and vulnerability. It was gut wrenching to see him like this, but it was a fitting end to the character. I'm still a bit of an emotional wreck picturing him on his deathbed.

In the end, it was the perfect combination of fan service, nostalgia, refreshing resurrection, and completion. I'm so thankful we finally got the bow we deserved for this beautiful package.

Frustratingly satisfying.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: