View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #563
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
for me, here is the problem with waiting:

I don't think it will be good enough for Rittich to just steal the starter's job from Smith, because that means Smith will still be getting backup level game rotations, and I don't know if he is playing well enough to help the team make the playoffs. I don't think Smith is giving the Flames backup quality minutes right now, and if he can't get them for Calgary as a backup, Rittich might have to have a 930+ sv% to counteract it.

Smith's even strength save percentage right now is just .890, but his short handed save percentage is a lowly/abysmal .778

I don't think you can make the playoffs with a goalie playing that poorly, even if he is the backup.

Even if Rittich takes over the starter spot, the Flames STILL need to acquire a goalie in my mind.
Unless, by keeping feeding Smith some playing time, he actually improves. Maybe to the point of his early season play last year, in which case you now have two good goalies.

Moving Smith now is incredibly difficult. And when you do, you don't know if the return is going to improve the position, given some of the names bandied about.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote