View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #155
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Brodie is on the ice for 2.02 5v5 goals against / 60 minutes <- or about one every 29:43 of ice time

Stone is on the ice for 3.19 5v5 goals against / 60 minutes <- or about one for every 18:48 of ice time

Whose are ending up in the back of the net, again?

Yes, Brodie has gotten scored on by guys like Ryan Johansen and Nathan MacKinnon. Guess what, those are really good hockey players and equivalent to their teams' versions of Monahan, and in MacKinnon's case he's basically Gaudreau + Monahan combined. They're expected to score when they get chances. Stone has the fortune of playing against other teams' Stajans and Hathaways who are expected to shank chances and shoot right into the goalie's crest.
I think this is largely a fault of the “eye test.” Yeah, Brodie makes mistakes that end up in the net, but as you’ve pointed out, Brodie and his mistakes are still safer than Stone without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Smith is trash
I just don’t understand this. The two categories are not “elite and trash,” those are the extremes. Smith is an average NHL starter. That means he’ll understandably have performances that are both above and below what we should consider “average.”

I’m absolutely FOR the argument that we can’t be Cup contenders with just average goaltending, we need a guy that plays above it the majority of the time. But by no means does that make Smith trash.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: