View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #2335
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
OK I think I figured out the problem and a workaround. I don't profess to be an expert in Mac so YMMV.

After messing around with Photos on my MacAir, and the photo import tool in windows 10, turns out a direct USB connection to my PC was actually the most simple for me. Preserves EXIF info, dates, and also lets me delete images from the iPhone to clear up space.

Except the connection to my wife's iPhone 7 kept dropping out after copying 10 photos or so. A problem when 350 are queued for transfer. Turns out it was the HEIC format of the photos. This setting was enabled in the Photos settings:

What Automatic does is make the iphone convert to jpeg as part of the transfer so I can only assume it was overwhelming the iPhone and dropping the connection. Changing this to original let me move the HEIC files over using File Explorer no problem.

Then I used a HEIC convert to get them all back to JPEG. This is where the date modified field gets set to the date you convert, but the "date taken" field is very much intact. Alternatively, just get a HEIC codec and work with HEIC natively (as limiting as support is)

We'll see if my iPhone 11 does the same thing - with a bigger processor maybe it does better. You can force the camera to shoot in jpeg but then you lose 4K video which is no bueno.

Another tip I'd pass on is to always move files sorting by the "name" field to ensure both the JPEG and the MOV file of the live photo are moved together.
Bit of an update to this. After my new iPhone 11 also had issues with a USB connection dropping I realized I'd been going about this in a old school fashion of trying to establish a physical connection via USB.

Best way to do this: enable iCloud and download photos to PC from there:

- no more USB connection issues
- auto converts HEIC files to JPG (optional)
- great sync (and delete) capabilities between the physical device and the cloud). Delete something on the device and it deletes from the cloud. (note this can be good or bad, depending on your backup goals)
- iCloud segregates family sharing accounts into their respective accounts (it doesn't co-mingle them all into a single folder). Again, this can be good or bad depending on your goals.

Bad part - yes you have to pay to use iCloud but it is priced in line to Amazon or OneDrive.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote