View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went through this with my Dad a few months ago. He had pancreatic cancer, which made for a pretty cut and try approval process. I think the questions 1 and 2 on the last page are the key ones. I know he felt a lot of pressure to make sure he did it before it was too late. ie, if something happened to reduce his mental capacity or he had to take opiods for paid, he'd be ineligible and that seems like an unfair pressure to put on someone in that position. In his case, I don't think it ended up changing the timeline significantly, but definitely did give him thoughts to do it earlier than he did which would have cost him a few good days we had in between.

It's a very different experience for anyone who hasn't been through it before. Living in the US, I didn't even know about the law until my parent brought it up when my Dad got sick last year. I don't know that anything in my life prepared me for sitting around all day with my Dad waiting for the injection that day. It actually ended up being a pretty peaceful day though. The 6 months from when he got sick until that day were the much harder days. I think it was great for both he and for my mom he was able to go on his own terms, and think it is really great that Canada allows that.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: