View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 01:54 AM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #22 View Post
I pay $254 a year (just basic liability, not full coverage) for my 1100cc ZRX, which would be in the same class as any of the 1000cc + crotchrockets. I would imagine smaller engine size would be lower risk therefore cheaper. I’m 48 years old with 30+ years riding experience, so obviously that will factor into it.

Also, for anybody that is thinking of getting a bike I say don’t listen to the doubters and do it, but do it smartly. Don’t go buy a 600cc or bigger as your first ride. These things are blindlingly fast and will get you into trouble before you know it. Start small and work up.

Get a copy of the book Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code and study it. It is aimed a bit more towards track riding, but he really explains the fundamental basics of how to corner properly and the dynamics of how to get the most out of you bikes handling which applies to everyday riding just as much.
I would disagree with the blanket statement of not buying over 600cc for your first bike. It depends on what kind of bike and all that. My first bike (after I took the course and was licensed) was 800cc, but it was a cruiser. It was fantastic and not too much bike for sure. If that had been the 650cc version of that particular model I think that in two weeks I would have already regretted it.

My current bike is only 650cc but it’s more carbon fibre as opposed to steel, and as a result the pure size of the engine isn’t as relevant. It has way more pickup than my 800cc, but it’s a different style.

Anyway, I agree that people debating a motorcycle should get one. I often hop on and feel like it’s the best purchase I’ve made!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote