View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #2711
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
The Flames should start bearing their teeth with the mayor. Either he sees the economic value with the Flames or he doesn't. But they should start pushing that button. To date Nenshi has copped out entirely saying it is up to the Flames, everytime the subject of concerts comes up he ducks it, everytime the subject of new arena comes up he ducks it. Saying we havnt been approached. BS total BS. When clearly the Flames have talked to mayor several times. He has said in the past the Flames have economic value but his actions are proving otherwise.
We have an interesting situation Owners that do not want to foot the entire bill and a Mayor that feels the city should not pay a dime outside of street/area infrastucture. The estimated numbers have changed over the past 2 years. To me it seems to be the Flames are willing to foot about 60%???
But the Mayor better realize contributing 0% or less than 10% of the building itself is not going to fly.
This is just my opinion but I feel the Flames should put up 70% , the province and city should put up the rest.
I'm too lazy to refute this right now, but it's already been done earlier in this thread, not too many pages before today's flare up. You're inventing many false narratives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Two things:

1) a sweet arena deal can go a long way to covering any difference in gate revenues between Calgary and Quebec, and

2) By selling, they realize their value in the team and can re-invest the money anywhere.

They would not lose anything, never mind hundreds of millions of dollars.
They would lose the privilege of owning 1 of 123 pro sports teams in North America. 1 of 9 in Canada. Pro sports are anything but a guaranteed investment. Many make money, many lose. This is the equivalent of an average Joe turning 50, finally paying off his mortgage, and deciding to spend $1000 on that [insert hobby here] they always wanted. Or a slightly wealthier dude finally dropping some coin on a sports car. But, it's totally different, because we're talking about billionaires fighting for the chance to own a scarce commodity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
The doctor example is particularly strange/ many are still training when the average - and even veteran nhler has retired - there is the odd 80'year old still practicing but a 45 year career isn't exactly commonplace
Not to mention the debt acquired in training. Not to go on a tangent, but doctors also pay for their own health benefits, are wholly responsible for their retirement planning, etc. They are fairly compensated (the system is not without it's issues), but the big six figure salary doesn't shake out the same as other similarly paid executives (ie. employees) with other benefits. Hockey players are covered very well in these other areas.