View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #506
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm going to fix F1 tires.

Here's what you need Pirelli to do. Make a multi-compound tire. The base layer would be super durable and able to go a full race distance on it's own, but be pretty poor to drive on. There, no more exploding tires. Then you have a softer compound above that, that would last maybe 50% race distance. Then softer that lasts 25%, and softer again, down to qualy softness.

You still allow tire changes, so say you want to drive really hard and rip through your soft layers, you grab fresh boots, so it wouldn't deter pit stops.

Top 10 still use the tires you did you best Q2 times on, but it would prevent different compounds giving the fastest cars a further advantage. P11 and back get fresh boots for a bit of an advantage.

It also simplifies tire transport and providing them to teams since there is just one dry tire. Though maybe for different races they need to shift the compounds, like they currently do.

Any drawbacks to this, other than the technical challenge of making them?
Pretty much impossible to manufacture, it's hard enough to get one compound right. I don't know what an F1 tire has for tread but my stock car tires have a whopping 5/32 of usable tread. Then you hit the carcass and shortly after that, cords.

I don't think the tire issues can be blamed on Pirelli. Both Merc's look to have had the same issue and it could easily have been set up or related to their active steering.

I kinda like the way it is now, adds a variable and allows for different strategies. If something had to change I would be more inclined to have them pick one compound for the weekend. No engineer want to have to figure out how to manage a tire that changes as the race progresses, beyond the normal change you expect in a single compound tire.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote