View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #59
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Awesome. Appreciate the feedback.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not only a recent grad, but also have only a few years experience. Items such as a portfolio, fleshed-out CV, etc. are non-existent. Ditto work examples (though I have a few published academic papers).

Of course I'm not applying for anything other than entry-level, junior, or coordinator/advisor positions. Apart from occasionally being a year off in experience, I never apply to anything for which I am not qualified.
And that's fair... junior positions will take lack of experience into account (usually, but there are plenty of companies out there with unrealistic expectations).

But going and taking out www.yamer.com (it's taken, I checked lol), going on Theme Forest, installing a CV template on WordPress, then putting an expanded resume (maybe with links to your academic papers) with a few well-written posts will tell a manager a billion things, such as:
  • You're making an effort and you might also do the same for my company
  • You know how to operate a CMS and have some basic understanding on how a website functions
  • You know how to write
  • Presumably, that you're not a crazy person (might want to leave out the infowars links)
As for work examples, though I don't have a great idea of what you did, there's got to be something you can show.

Maybe things like copy you helped write, events you helped manage/coordinate, etc... hell, if all you did was get coffee I would potentially call that out on my cover letter: "Over the last X months as a communications assistant at Craptastic Company, I estimate I picked up 1,983 rounds of coffee for my department. While my love of a dark roast double-double still remains strong, I feel I am capable of so much more. Here's why: <list reasons, throw to yamer.com>"

Anyways, I've been there. It's not easy. I'm not trying to make it sound like it is. Feel free to reach out via PM if you want to chat.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post: