View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #53
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad the thread has been well received, and really thankful for all the advice. It's been encouraging hearing the same frustrations from people in a similar situation, although it's too bad any of us has to worry about something so essential.

Absorbing some of the advice in here, I think I am going to take a completely new approach to my cover letter themes and totally revamp my master template.

Here's a few more questions for those here doing the hiring:

1. How appealing is it to brag in your cover letter? For instance, I graduated at the top of my class at U of C (nerd!). Should I include "with distinction", or even go as far as stating that achievement outright?

2. To what extent, or how relevant, is it to be personal or casual? People have mentioned including personal interests or passions. Perhaps something near the end in passing (eg. I'm a hockey history and culture enthusiast)?

And do you appreciate a cover letter with a casual tone, or is professionalism priority? A little of both?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 07-17-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote