View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #38
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it was that 'easy' of a decision at the draft. MacKinnon was 'out-shined' by his teammate at the time, Drouin. Jones was considered to be almost a generational defencemen. There were serious questions about this kid who was thought of as 'the next one' for a few years before the draft, and how he DIDN'T stand out as compared to his draft class.

I remember most of the talk revolving around the 'top 3' with Barkov being by himself at #4.

Many lists had Jones 1st from what I remember. Jones was THAT well-thought of. He had the size, speed, 2-way ability, and came from an athletic family to boot. Many people thought that Sakic was going to draft Jones. Sakic was friends with his dad (even gave Popeye advice on hockey and stuff, when Seth got interested in hockey at a younger age). Avs were also woefully terrible defensively as well. There was a bit of surprise when Sakic ended up picking MacKinnon. In fact, for a few years afterwards, there were still people that felt that it was a blunder in not choosing the home-town feel good story that was going to be a franchise-level defencemen.

I think only Tampa screwed it up. Can you imagine Tampa with Jones instead of Sergachev right now? I mean, Sergachev is a great young defencemen in his own right, but he doesn't control the game like Jones did. What a way to turn that pick around, however, considering how disappointing the Drouin pick became. Nashville did the opposite in my opinion, and traded a franchise defencemen for a 2nd line centre. Funny how that worked out.

I have also felt that MacKinnon has been the best player in the world for a few years now. If he was committed at playing McDavid hockey, I bet he would have his butt kissed even more often on TV. The fact that he is THAT good everywhere on the ice, and in all circumstances? Offence, defence, physicality, ability to elevate his game, leadership, composure... he has zero weaknesses. He doesn't take shortcuts.

McDavid is an amazing talent, obviously. Just because he is a dirty rotten stinkin Oiler doesn't mean I can't give him his due respect. He is a fricken amazing offensive talent. The way he gets his shot off, and how he has that knack of knowing how to overtake someone with his speed almost at will? That's an exciting player. Not as dynamic in the way he scores (IMO) as MacKinnon, but he is generational I would say, offensively.

Everywhere else McDavid is lacking. Defence? LoL. Physicality? No, if anything, you can really see how he wilts under that physical attack in the playoffs. Leadership? Yeah, him smirking and making fun of Bear's defence is showing a tonne of leadership there.

I will bet on McDavid to win the next 3 scoring races. I have no problem in saying that unless there is some unforeseen injury, McDavid will be the highest scoring forward in the NHL for the next foreseeable future. That, however, does not make him the best player.

That's MacKinnon, and MacKinnon is getting better and better every season too. That's scary.

It wasn't the brainless 'can't miss' only an idiot would pick someone else selection by Sakic. Jones was in many ways the easier pick, all things considered. Good on Sakic for ignoring all the noise, and just picking the best player available. MacKinnon is the best player of this generation, and it has nothing to do with McDavid being an Oiler.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote