View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 05:45 PM   #51
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I can't put myself in his shoes. I can only try. But honestly.....i would bet Luke isn't surprised nor hurt more than usual by Reimer's dumb comment. He probably expects there are some relics of the past that think like this. But they are dwindling.

In fact, i'm betting Luke and other members feel a little bit better and better as time passes, as he knows that there is a VAST majority of folks that grows in size all the time who support him including Christians like myself. I think we are in a better place now than we were 10 years ago. And in another 10 years we are going to be even better.
You're probably right about Prokop. He's already shown a lot of strength and perseverance and it's likely this is something he's dealt with before.

I wish I had your optimism about the future, but the last few years have undermined my confidence. I'm not going to act the alarmist, but far-right social ideals have crept back in and taken hold in a way I hadn't expected.

If society can take away bodily autonomy from women, I'm loathe to think how they'll continue to oppress groups they don't even view as people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
A few players refusing to wear a pride jersey does not mean the NHL has a problem with intolerance. At most it means those few individuals are intolerant.

I think the fact so few players opted out of wearing it when they clearly can shows just how tolerant the NHL has become

1% of the league refusing to wear a pride jersey doesn’t make the NHL intolerant.
Since Provorov refused to wear the jersey we have had an entire organization scrap their plans for a Pride jersey night and another player join them with some utterly backwards thinking to justify it. These veins of intolerance are running underneath the NHL and are just starting to rear their head.

Your product undermining league initiatives doesn't automatically make the NHL intolerant, but it is a noticeable trend more players/organizations are becoming comfortable with and that is a problem the NHL would be smart to address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
While I don't share the same view as Reimer, frankly he's not being rude about it, so I don't really care. I really just wish politics and anthems and whatnot were kept out of sports. The whole thing brings about controversy. Even as a minority myself if someone had a "minority night" and a player chose not to participate, citing whatever, I wouldn't care. We're giving them the option, certainly people can have opinions. Talk about it but some of the vitriol thrown at Reimer, generally seen as a nicer person in the game, is ridiculous.
"For me, to some extent, that's what you want to do is you want to love them, but where I keep reiterating what I'm saying is where it intersects for a Christian and the way I personally and the people close to me in my life interpret the Bible is you love them, but you can't support the activity or lifestyle."

Apart from being quite the word salad strife with contradictions, it's also quite disrespectful. Sexuality and self-identity isn't an "activity", a "lifestyle", or "politics". This is just an attempt to make hate and intolerance palatable through disproven tropes while using the Bible as a prop.

I have little problem with people calling Reimer out on his nonsense.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: