View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 02:07 AM   #8684
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Tre definitely still has some work to do. Tonight’s loss just reinforces the fact that we don’t have a game breaker on the roster. Johnny is fantastic, I love him but he’s not the guy that will put a team on his back and will them to victory. I thought Tkachuk would become that guy but he just hasn’t developed into that kind of player. Maybe Sutter can get him out of whatever funk he’s in but I’d still love to see Tre swing for the fences with Eichel.

Monahan + Tkachuk + 1st round pick + any prospect not named Zary or Pelletier.

[emoji2373]
To be fair, Johnny has been that guy for most of his career here. His hot streaks generally coincide with this team's winning streaks and the percentage of his team's total goals that he's involved in would suggest that he was indeed a game breaker and one of the very best. I think he's had a tougher go at it recently because this team still has yet to find the right mix for that line. Monahan and Gaudreau are just simply not a strong enough pair to carry dead weight on their line, they need the right player, the right chemistry to be dynamic.

If only Monahan was a better play driver like a Draisaitl or a Scheifele, then I think this line would flourish. His insistence to defer to Gaudreau to make plays instead makes this line incredibly predictable and easier to defend. Contrary to popular belief, I actually think Gaudreau would be more effective if he played with the puck less. As in, if Gaudreau was the one receiving the drop passes, the with more time/space, then I think he could make more dynamic plays, harder cuts, dekes, spins and etc. His quick first step is one of his biggest weapons and catching people flat footed or off guard would make him infinitely more dangerous.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: