View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think the big thing to me was the comparisons ...

Lindholm is +0.81 while Ferland is -.20, that's winning a game by making the swap

Hanifin is +.36 while Hamilton is +.97, that's losing 2/3 of a game by the defenseman swap

Overall though the Flames are up according to this model, and have added a lot of consistency.

Another thing was the values. When a guy's biggest flaws is too many penalties he's a pretty damn good player. Hamilton is clearly that. Backlund had an off year with taking a lot of penalties and is penalized.

Another interesting player is Bennett who gets hammered for taking penalties but is actually pretty good otherwise.

Thought it was interesting to test the team averages as well. Way more aligned with contenders and the standings.
I'm assuming these stats don't take into account player contracts and term? So even if the Flames "lose" player for player on WAR, there is still the win on the asset management?