View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #1076
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
I didn't say that the City would fund it themselves without a team. I said that they would be actively trying to get one built. Nenshi already stated that they would look into other private investors and other options outside of CSEC.
Right, so either way they are just pursuing a sensible deal...

What I don't think is terribly clear is the urgency for the arena aspect of the deal. It's important and necessary to develop a plan for this whole area. As we see, major changes are going ahead right now (Green Line, 17 ave extension, 9 ave bridge, BMO/Corral reno)

I really hope councillors are smart enough to see that the timing of the 18000 seat building is largely irrelevant to the rest of it. The plan is great.
Implementing the connectivity changes that make the area more desirable as currently constituted, as well as more desirable for future development is great, too.

It's also great that the city will keep the space available for the arena - I hope they simply tell CSEC that the city's current offer is still on the table (already too generous IMO, but I'd live with it). If they don't want to proceed right now, so be it, our door is aways open, but don't expect the deal to improve. The two sq blocks of parking lot will remain useful as a parking lot until whenever they want to start digging.

Instead of directing more city resources to build a new arena, I'd rather the city directed them to continue revitalizing the 'donut of desolation' surrounding the edges of Stampede Park not bounded by the Elbow River (which is largely what this plan is all about):

SW 17 ave SW between 1st St SW and Macleod Trail (the 3 ugly blocks separating the Red Mile from Stampede Park). They're already on their way with the 17 Ave crossing and pedestrian upgrades.

Similarly improving the connections across the CPR tracks, as well as the atmosphere along that barrier will be huge. It doesn't matter if you are trying to go the Saddledome or new arena location - the 4 blocks to the north and west of those locations are what really require upgrading. As that continues to happen, the case for a new arena will start to make itself (and the Saddledome will actually be ready for retirement as it approaches it's 5th decade).

Prioritizing the new arena does very little to accelerate the revitalization surrounding it.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: