View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #3802
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Lindholm has been unbelievable this year, both offensively and defensively. He is, without question, playing well enough to be in the Selke conversation. However, there are 2 reasons why I don't believe he has a snowball's chance in hell:

1) he isn't a C.
2) he doesn't have a track record - the Selke, like the Norris, is often a cumulative prize.

And I'll add a 3rd: with Gaudreau, Giordano, and Peters all deserving, and getting consideration (assuming things remain the same, and obviously there is a lot of hockey left), I don't think there would be any appetite to add a 4th Flame to the awards conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I doubt Lindholm gets serious consideration for the Selke this year. It's a reputation award. Players only get nominated once they've been on the radar as an elite defensive forward for a few years. And they rarely win until they've been nominated a couple times first.
Selke doesn’t usually go to wingers, but Lindholm has a bit of an advantage here - he’s playing at the very least pseudo centre here. Takes lots of Faceoffs as a top line winger. He plays centre on the PK.

As far as “adding him to awards conversations”, many of the awards are voted on by different groups of people. There isn’t one group that says, “no we have already awarded the Flames too many awards, we have to overlook Lindholm”

The reputation part of the selke is definitely a factor. It almost certainly robbed Backlund of the Selke a couple years ago, when he was the best defensive forward that season.

Anyway, As of today, Lindholm is first among forwards with a +27. Second Place is Colton Sissons at +21. Third place tie is Crosby and Gaudreau at +20. Lindholm leads by 6.

MicKinnon is the only player in the NHL who has been on the ice for more Goals for this season. McKinnon has 89, Lindholm has 87. (Gaudreau is 4th with 84)

Also, the usual suspects are having somewhat off years (to be fair Bergeron has been injured). People rave about Barkov, but he’s been on the ice for 6 more goals than ANY other forward in the league so far this season.