View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #3846
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Passport question - if you have a long middle name or a first name that can be shortened, can you put that on your passport instead of your full legal name? For example, if the combination of letters puts it over most airlines character limits, could the next time you apply for you passport change a first name like Michael to Mike or Alexander to Alex or just not add middle names - or does the name in your passport have to be what’s on the birth certificate kind of thing? I am finding that this is becoming kind of a source of irritation when booking travel and stuff because our kids’ names are kind of on long side.
My passport doesn't have my middle name on it. I've never once booked a flight with my middle name, and I've never had a single issue.

From a few lengthy discussions I've seen about this in my Facebook groups, a lack of a given legal middle name on the passport does not seem to cause any issue for anyone, anywhere.

The TSA stance is that they want to see your first and last name on your boarding pass match exactly what is shown on your passport.

If your passport has a middle name, your boarding pass probably should as well, but they will also accept your boarding pass having just the first character of your middle name.

So if it were me, I would omit the middle name from the passport, and not use a middle name when making the booking. Hopefully that reduces the number of characters enough for your children's names.

And of course always make sure the first and last name from the passport are exactly the same as your booking.

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 01-03-2019 at 02:06 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post: