View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #457
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
I am a little confused by what you are trying to say, only because engaging in inappropriate online mob justice can very much be a civil and even a criminal legal matter.

Outing and denouncing someone as a racist if your only basis to make that accusation is the color of the person's skin as compared to your own could easily amount to defamation.

Outing and denouncing someone for something that they simply did not do can not only be defamation but could also fit within the definition of the criminal offence of conveying false or harassing information under section 372 of the Criminal Code.

Being offended and calling someone out directly to their face about what you perceive as their inappropriate conduct is very different than recording it and purposefully seeking 'mob justice' via the internet.
Yeah, not what I meant. I meant that the standard for mob justice on the internet is much lower than the standard of the law because the result of mob justice on the internet is also not able to perform the same function as the law (I.e. targets of mob justic aren’t being jailed, officially persecuted, etc). So to expect the same standard in both, or even to say “well, it’s not meeting this standard” is a false equivalency. It doesn’t meet the standard because they are in two entirely different categories (and broadly under the “repercussions for actions” category). It’s like saying a cheeseburger doesn’t taste the same as a BLT, they’re similar in construction but entirely different, so why WOULD they taste the same?

It had nothing to do with mob justice having no legal ramifications for the people engaging in it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote