View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #25
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Solid call.

That being said, isn't time the females competed in a Decathlon?
I found this article to be quite an interesting perspective on that question

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/06/s...eptathlon.html

Heptathletes are considered primarily speed-oriented and decathletes more endurance-oriented, which is why athletes like Gray are unlikely to match their decathlon success and qualify for the Olympics in the heptathlon.
“Heptathlon is very geared and favorable to those who are quick,” said Gray’s coach, Andy Eggerth, who trains both heptathletes and decathletes. “A lot of world-class heptathletes are relatively bad at javelin and shot-put.”
“Heptathletes are sprinters and jumpers,” Gray added. “As a decathlete, where you’re not fast, you need that upper-body strength. Strength is the biggest difference. I hate the 800. You have to be more of a racehorse to do the 800. I think the 1,500 is easier. It’s slower, more of a mental game. It’s a well-known fact that we decathlon women are better at endurance.”

while I think in general there are arguments to be made for this , the current crop of athletes also recognize that they may not be the ones who benefit as skills required would pivot slightly and surely they won't allow both
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post: