View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 01:49 AM   #12
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great topic and some nice framework. Reading it, I just kept thinking, I hope Treliving shares these sentiments.

I would add 2 things. You need to be patient with your rebuild. Many of the items above require more patience. Not signing that extra vet to a big contract on July 1st because you figure there’s good odds he will curve out. That also means a potential hole/weakness in the lineup for 1-2 years until a prospect is ready. And don’t rush prospects in.

Second, you have to have “enough” players in your top 6 and d that have “it”. “It”, the extra drive, focus and ability to get up for big games, playoff games, and games that should be winnable but you know you need the points from those “easier” wins. “It”, the ability to score big goals or make big plays when it is most needed and to close out games. This playoffs, Sam Bennett demonstrated he has “It”. Tkachuk has “it”. Nathan Mackinnon has “it”. Between your top 6 forwards and your top 3 D, you need 4-5 players that have “it”. Having players down the lineup with “it” is also very helpful and maybe even necessary but they aren’t going to swing the game or series in your favor. If you don’t have enough guys with “it”, you need a coach that finds ways to make them have “it” on a regular basis. You need a D Sutter, a Tortorella. If you have the players and the coach then the coach can really push that core to the limit without breaking them. Too many highly skilled guys in the mix without “it”? Then you have to move the one(s) the bring you back some ridiculous value in picks and draft well with them.

You can’t teach players to have “it”. You can’t practice or condition more to get it. They have it or they don’t. Without enough of it, your pool of talented players is no good. E=NG anyone?
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote