View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #21
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This rationale is used to justify basically every contract longer than 4 years, it seems to me, and it never really sits well with me. Let's look at the longer term contracts signed in 2013 and 2014 and see where we stand now.

Valteri Filpulla, 5 years $25 m
Ryan Clowe, 5 years $24.25 m
Tuuka Rask, 8 years $56 m
Blake Wheeler, 6 years $33.6m
Tyler Bozak, 5 years $21 m
Alex Pietrangelo, 7 years 45.5 m
David Clarkson, 7 years $36.75 m
Travis Hamonic, 7 years $27 m
Stephen Weiss, 5 years $24 m
Nathan Horton, 7 years, $37.1 m
Christian Ehrhoff, 10 years $40 m
Matt Moulson, 5 years $25 m
Anton Stralman, 5 years $22.5 m

I'm sure that's not all of them, only the ones I found easily... how many of those look like bargains now as a result of the cap going up? Wheeler and Pietrangelo, sure. Maybe Hamonic's, I guess, but wasn't it considered a bargain the day it was signed? Stralman's is also fine, but it's not crazily good or anything. Most of them are horrendous.
Firstly, many of those players on your list involve FA signings on the market, which almost always result in an over payment. Better comparables would be guys who re-signed with their own teams for long term deals. So of the players on your list that includes:

Tuuka Rask, 8 years $56 m
Blake Wheeler, 6 years $33.6m
Alex Pietrangelo, 7 years 45.5 m
Travis Hamonic, 7 years $27 m

That list has pretty solid value. You could even add better contracts of players signing with their own teams until age 35. Guys like Stamkos are much better comparables to this Ellis deal, than free agents who signed with new teams on the open market like Horton. It's not the fact they signed long term that's the issue, it's the fact the team on the open market paid a premium for them.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: