View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:
Default Surferguy goes to Newfoundland

I recently completed a trip to Newfoundland.

I tried my hand at doing a little travel writing. I have six small stories to share and I will do that over the next week or so.

Entry 1

Bonavista, NFLD is a special place. A barren landscape pitted with boulders poking out of the long soft grasses perched high on the sea cliffs overlooking the cold North Atlantic. The wind sweeps across unabated, shaping and twisting the few small shrubs that have managed to take root.

Looking out to the horizon beyond a pair of icebergs lies nothing but an unforgiving body of water. The relentless drone of air by your ears whistles the whispers of the lost souls of the Grand Banks and beyond. Not quite isolation but a taste of it.

This area of Canada is built on the backs of folks unafraid of doing what it takes to provide for their families. It could not have been easy to settle these lands nor could it have been done alone.

A commonality that persists through to today.

Community.

Friendly.

The very personification of the province painted onto the picturesque streets of colorful salt box homes.

It's been a pleasure to witness a couple of days in their corner of this nation. I should spend more time exploring off the beaten path.

I'm surprised every time I do it.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post: