Thread: The Expanse
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #56
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
SyFy can't afford it, I think the execs had no option but to let it go since they all are big fans and know a big company like Netflix or Hulu will take it off their hands and keep or increase the budget for this incredible series.

Netflix should just buy SyFy outright, they have good people there but their issue has always been that network TV viewers are typically far older than people on Netflix, HBO, etc..

Netflix also said pretty recently they wanted to focus on more Sci-Fi, I bet behind the scenes this show's production company is just going over paperwork for Netflix to take them
Rumor is it's $5-10 million per episode and SyFy did the stupid thing of only signing the rights for distribution for the first run on TV. SyFy only makes any money on commercials on initial airing and zero on online distribution i.e. streaming, merchandise, etc. Which is a stupid stupid revenue model for this category of show.

From what I am hearing online from The Expanse's prop manager, Netflix is out because they have a huge docket of Sci-Fi shows already that they wholly produce and there just isn't space for The Expanse there... Amazon on the other hand has nothing lined up and could use a critically acclaimed show in that category with a ready made fan base. They are considering picking it up... at least from what the Reddit thread is saying.

EDIT: Might be good news it seems, the prop master of the show is saying there is a possible meeting between Alcon and Amazon!!
https://twitter.com/user/status/995723447396458496

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-13-2018 at 11:58 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post: