View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #2994
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jack, I agree with the comparisons above (Nadal to Stan the Man and Medvedev to Djokovic), it's amazing to me how Medvedev can be so consistent with that funky looking swing, but his timing is impeccable and he does have a serious weapon with that serve.

Thiem is certainly going to be a contender at all the grand slams (especially the French Open), but he's going to be a tough out at any tourney. There is certainly a strong batch of young guys led by Tsitsipas and Rublev that are definitely going to be in the mix. Those two guys have separated themselves from the rest of the young guys on tour, in my opinion.

As far as the Canadians are concerned, the future does indeed look bright, but I think we have to remember (and I have to remind myself of this as well) that Shapo and Felix are still learning what it takes week in and week out to compete on the ATP tour. In my opinion, Denis had a fine season which included cracking the top 10 (briefly) and finishing the season ranked #12. Felix made three finals and did win his first ATP title in doubles (a Masters 1000 event as well), but is still looking for that elusive first singles crown. He did make a coaching change which was definitely needed and I really believe that first ATP singles title will be won in 2021.

As for the older guys, Milos had a fine season and should have beat Djoker at the Western and Southern in the final. For the most part, he was healthy and he can still be dangerous (put it this way, nobody wants to face him in the first week of a grand slam). Also, I think Vasek is playing better now than he was six years ago when he was ranked #25 in the world, he has his ranking all the way up to #61 in the world which should mean automatic entry into all the grand slams and Masters 1000 tourneys.

Of course, we can't forget the ladies. Bianca will be back in 2021 and once she shakes off the rust, she will be contending for trophies once again. Leylah is 18 years old and is ranked #88 on the WTA tour, she's only going to get stronger and better in 2021. Genie had a fine 2020 and has put in the hard work to rebuild her ranking. Who knows, maybe she can re-capture some magic in Melbourne if we have an Aussie Open in 2021.

Let me wrap this up by wishing everybody here a happy and safe holiday season and all the best in 2021.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 11-22-2020 at 04:43 PM.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post: