View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #1715
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Dunno, I think you didn't read my post. Taking a perfectly good receiver with good amplification and getting rid of it is not cool, but the other side of is a valid concern.

Proper HDMI switching for the various protocols and throughput to get it the audio/video processors so they can do their work is going to run you at least $1000. What would be the point of buying a 4k tv and feeding it at 1080p signal over HDMI?

Sure, you can switch HDMI cheaply, but it's not any of the new technology such as DOLBY HDR, Atmos, or XBOX Series X running at 120hz refresh.

For anyone interested I do highly recommend the Anthem MRX540 as it's a bundle of choice. Not only does it offer great amplification, it has all the audio processing you could dream of and supports HDMI v2.1. Because I have experience in very high end audio processors and dedicated amplification then going to a basic Marantz offering (with updated protocols) and then diving back into Anthem, the difference is outstanding. $1700 is an outlay, but I expect at least 10 years out of it. The gains of 4k to 8k aren't going to sway me.

Anyways, my two cents. Basic HDMI switching just doesn't fit the bill for what is approachable and noticably better tech in audio codecs, video codecs and resolutions that require the bandwidth on the new HDMI 2.1 specs.
Like I said though, I don't have 4k gear, so I see it's an issue there. For my use I've managed to get ~12 years out of my receiver. It's not like it is broken, so I find it annoying I'll have to buy a new one when going to a 4k source.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote