View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thermal image of the fissure system (from yesterday)

I was also wrong in my previous post...the island has 5 above ground volcanoes. Kiluaea has been continually erupting for quite some time and while once though as an off shoot of Mount Loa, they now believe it has it's own magma system. Loa last erupted in 1984. Kilueaa is the most active volcano in the world. Loa the largest. Hualalai erupted in 1801 and had significant seismic activity in 1929. The others haven't erupted for thousands of years.

But really my point was this: this is a picture of the lava flows from Mount Loa the past 175 years. It essentially covers a very large chunk of the island or shows a large chunk of the island would be at risk and Kiluaea covers the area in SE. It's hard to build somewhere that on even a recent geological timeframe you could expect to be "safe". So I don't think anyone is truly surprised or that one could really call it unscrupulous behavior to let people build where they did. These things change very fast. Magma moves. New fissures open up etc. I think hours before the first fissure opened up and started a lava flow they said nothing seemed imminent.

Last edited by ernie; 05-08-2018 at 01:53 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post: