View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 05:03 AM   #79
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I would guess that if there is any influence of mental health affecting ratings, it's at an incredibly minimal level. Like 1%-5%. Sports viewers that were depressed before covid, still watched. So don't think that just because of covid, now depressed sports viewers aren't watching because of their depression primarily.

But it's all speculative on the beholder. Really can't say for certain unless a scientific study is done on this.
It's easy to say this is the case because it's not previously depressed viewers not watching, it's newly depressed, newly anxious. Folks that have been adjusting to solitude.

Take the NFL. The are down a large chunk in viewership, during their regular playing period, more people home and not working, they even have some fans in the crowds. Why would they be down so much? Simple, apathy.

People that have never struggled with it, or are used to struggling with it seem to want to write it off but it is a thing. There is a reason AHS and such and been pumping out tons to do with mental health during the pandemic. And anxiety and depression absolutely impacts your viewing habits. Just me personally, I went from watching things live, to watching on a delay with many breaks because I couldn't focus as well as normal, I have other friends that were so apathetic they didn't even watch any playoffs.

So you claim 1-5% of people, yet it has impacted about half the people I know. Yes, it is a small sample size, but I really doubt my group of friends is that unique where the difference in what I see and what you claim is that staggering.

This comes off as typical uninformed crap about mental health and writing it off like it's not a thing.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote