View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #15
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is nuts.

I get it with the way contracts are going these days but seems like an overpay for a guy with: 150gp, 8G, 42A, 50Pts over essentially 2 seasons of work.

How is that not crazy?

The NHL is getting ridiculous with 2nd contracts for RFA's after their ELC's expire.

How can the middle class player survive this trend of 21year olds and superstars all making boatloads?

Everything will find a way. There's a cap and over the years trends will change on where to emphasize that cap space based on success and lack of success from various teams. It's trending towards paying young, star and potential star players. Maybe it shifts back a bit if enough potential stars start busting.

Right now, it's 28+ contracts that are backfiring, so they're trending out. Young stars get paid, middling players getting paid less than before, no big deal.

The middle class getting squeezed out in real life is important and likely to become catastrophic in the western world in the coming decades. The middle class getting squeezed out in the NHL means professional athletes that aren't stars will get less money.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote