View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #628
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I find these go for broke, big budget series are doing that serialization after a major production investment in the original season. Everything is really great and then we land in season 2 only to have the story really being dragged out (probably on account of budget). Westworld and Handmaids Tale.
I think this comment has been overlooked as it's kind of spot on. In the first season, they had a vision that bled onto the screen, but they had to create a fascinating hook in the event it had the potential to become a phenom. They nailed it.

Now, they know they have an audience and are in it for the long haul. That means dragging a story into 4, 5, maybe 6 seasons. Where there was no filler in season 1, there is going to be plenty of it heading forward.

That doesn't always have to be a bad thing as filler can be done right. Episodes that took a slight step away in shows like Breaking Bad, The Shield, Justified, etc. seemed to work. I think of the fly episode of BB as a good example: they put a slight pause on the primary plot, but it was engaging as hell.

I'm definitely not giving up on this show as I think the overall premise and philosophy is fun and provoking. However, I do notice a quality difference from the first 10 to the next 5.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: