View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #6133
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I know this isn't a Stampeder thread, but the bad history is driving me nuts.

Wally leaves because he can't stand the meddling of his owner who wants his son to be the star QB

No one wants to work or play for the Stampeders as it is a total gong show.

So basically you agree with me.... that the problem with the Stampeders back then was very similar to the problems with the Oilers today - mainly that the problem initially started at the top and spread downward, and the solution is to cure the head and not to cut off countless feet.

Now... I wasn't concentrating on the micro details of the Stamps that you certainly know more about than me, and I wasn't suggesting that it was the Flames Ownership Group that was the savior here. My point was, that a team that the owner treats like a toy for him and his family - where he hires not based on merit but based on some relationship (family, friend, or pure past idolization)... it's just not good.

Clearly Lowe and MacTavish aren't good hockey team managers.. the proof is in the Oilers. Because they were good players, doesn't necessarily mean they'd make good coaches - they might, or good general managers - they might. Because they won in one capacity, doesn't make them winners at the others.

Katz could also be great at building a great Oiler's empire, and suck at putting together a winning on ice team - although having a winning team would certainly help build that empire, it's clearly not required in Edmonton as we can see. If Katz realized his shortcomings and just concentrated on what he's good at, and left what he's not to competent people, and not his childhood idols - look out.