View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #1074
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Geezuz that's dramatic. Calgary 200 years from now won't grow and be different? Calgary hasn't even been around for 200 years, and you're predicting emergency mode two centuries into the future?

My god, some of this is just madness.
It is dramatic for sure. That’s because I don’t know if you’ve heard but oil and gas drives Calgary’s economy in a very significant way. You may not have been following along or aware as to how dire things are there, or where industry is headed but let me tell you, it’s not pretty. I think Calgary is in some serious #### here and into the future. You’ll see in about 1-5 years as the financial impacts worsen.

Also, people move to where the work is. So if Calgary doesn’t adjust and move out of oil and gas, which it might and frankly which it needs to do, then things will only worsen.

If it all sounds dramatic, it’s because we are in dramatic times. You should be worried about all of this. Particularly if you own real estate in Calgary, or care about the future of this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
I'm convinced Mr Coffee logs in around midnight each night, finds something to be overly negative about then logs out a happy guy.
But things are overly negative these days from the perspective of oil and gas. People are just ignorant of how bad it truly is and will be in the near-future, so while yes I’m being a little bit of a worry-wart / chicken little, I’m also trying to be realistic.

I have plenty of positive things to say too if you’d like to hear them haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
I know it's utter lunacy. It's like the whole Olympic debacle.

I find people who have lived here too long can become blind to the wealth of the region's geography.
This post didn’t make a lot of sense to me. What do you mean it’s utter lunacy? Have you seen the jr sector crushed in energy investment? Have you noticed the rapid and highly concerning capital flight from the sector? Are you aware that those high salaries, long term incentive programs and big bonuses that oil and gas delivers on an annual basis are shrinking and going to less people? That’s less money for properties, the general economy, etc. Have you noticed the vacancy rate in downtown Calgary lately? Have you noticed that our oil and gas is now forever landlocked to the current production throughout capacities because we can’t build pipelines and fuel growth? Have you noticed the amount of energy workers leaving the city and moving to the States, or out of industry altogether into something or somewhere else? Have you noticed real estate sales dropping 15% in one year...?

Maybe you’re not that tuned into things? I have no idea what the “richness of surrounding geography” even means so please be more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The city grew by over 40,000 people during the NEP. Today at less than half the growth of that period we’d grow by over 40,000 again in the next 5 years. At a modest growth of 5% over the next 10 years (significantly worse than the 80s, which was pretty dire, and twice as bad as Winnipeg in the past decade, which isn’t exactly hopping with bright-eyed optimism economically) the city will add over 125,000 people in the next decade.

So not planning for “any growth” is pretty ridiculous, and pretty detached from reality.
This is the best response to me so far. Just keep in mind the problems of the NEP are dwarfed by the problems of today. Oil and gas wasn’t viewed as this tyrannical evil business back then. But that’s a fair point, there may be growth in the next 50 years but still, have you seen that picture? It’s like constructing another downtown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Winnipeg grew 6.3% between 2011 and 2016, without oil and gas.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...413218973.html
Winnipeg is 100% irrelevant when it comes to oil and gas. They have how many energy company HQ’s? They have how much reserves? Winnipeg’s economy is not based primarily on energy investment so I have no idea why you’d bring this up.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote