View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #863
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

That seems possible.

I've done some cursory hunting around because Chrome is very RAM heavy so I was trying to find out if there's an in-built limitation on streams? Can't seem to find one.

Did a couple tests to see if this can be done and how much of an impact it has on a 6700k w/ 2080 RTX.

Running 6 windows of Chrome with live video (mostly Shaw Freerange):
  • RAM Usage: Chrome hit 2.8 GB alone (total 7.5 GB) / 16 GB
  • Ethernet: Hits on avg about 17 Mbps
  • GPU: Barely getting hit, 36c, 41% fan speed (1500 RPM), 1500 MB VRAM usage, 11% GPU load, 15.5% TDP
  • CPU: ~50% load, ~50c
  • Feel: Chrome was a bit laggier overall but the PC functioned as expected
So I can't say how "low" you could potentially go, but my conclusions are:
  • RAM: Pretty important, need at least 8 GB I'd say (unless your entire system is stripped down of other casual use apps)
  • Ethernet: Basic "high-speed" should be acceptable
  • GPU: I don't think this is used very much. 11% load (albeit on a high end modern card) is pretty tiny. Basically something even 30% as fast should be acceptable (so like, a used 970 or something?)
  • CPU: Definitely where most of the processing was being handled. A 3 gens back i7 with hyperthreading (which Chrome does use) was being pushed to ~50%. With a 4/4 core usage, you would need an i5 that's at minimum 50% as fast (and would likely chop if it's running flat out the whole time). If you're getting 8xxx or 9xxx series units, I would guess a 6 natural core i5-8400 or equivalent would be more than sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote