View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My 10 year old son was diagnosed 4 years ago (at 6 years old-in kindergarten).

My wife (primarily) and I, work hard to monitor and keep him in range. The first few months were the hardest, but once you get into routines and embrace the available technology, it get easier.

The manual injections suck, since he has to eat a set amount of carbs at a set time, but keeping to the schedule really helps to get used to Type 1.

We bought a kitchen scale (that we still occasionally use) that can give you the nutritional info on most foods by weight--life saver!

Most fast food joints have nutritional info on a website, and you can google an estimate for just about anything else too.

Before our son went back to school post diagnosis, we met with the school (principal, teacher, and anyone else that might need to know how to help him, and gave them a quick tutorial, a written set of instructions of what to look for and how to respond (samples can be found online too).

I could write many paragraphs on tips to deal, but I don't want to overwhelm you!

There are a lot of groups for support on Facebook, and if you're in the Calgary area, there is a few groups for support as well http://www.carin4u.com/ is a good one to connect kids and parents, they hold events (Halloween, bowling, laser tag, archery, Christmas party, etc) the kids get to do fun activities, while parents get to chat.

If you'd like any other specific advice, I'd be happy to try to help (or ask my wife ;-P)

P.S. We are a very tech forward family, we have our son on both a CGM (Continuous Glucose Meter--Dexcom) and an insulin pump (Omnipod). I can help with questions on these also.
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stillman16 For This Useful Post: