View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #4166
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
So, I finished my laminate install. I actually have a brand new false floor (which wasn’t factored into having to replace) so I can’t say regarding direct to concrete.

What I will say is this. Hard floors suck. I’m really happy with the visual of the laminate we went with - they actually look more like a finished hardwood than the ‘luxury’ vinyl. But in terms of foot feel, acoustics, and perceived temperature, it’s a total downgrade in actual space enjoyment. I can’t imagine how dissatisfied I’d be if it were right over concrete...my false floor probably helps more than I know in that regard. We’ve been warm, but I’m curious to see how the space ‘feels’ when it’s -30 and basement is under heated.

I went with Roberts Super Felt underlay. Far more expensive than the useless foam stuff you often see, but it feels like it’s worth it ($.65sq/ft). Even with the false floor and 12mm plank, it’s cold to the touch. And this is, according to everything I could find, the ‘warmer’ option. Vinyl plank is thinner, apparently tends to feel colder, and offers less noise absorption.

I would avoid vinyl direct to concrete if at all possible. What a stupid trend.
It sounds like you need some really fancy memory foam slippers to go with that new floor.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote