View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #72
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I wonder though..You said there is a user community built-up around these safe injection sites in Vancouver . And these communities encourage drug use. They aren't trying to get people to quit.

So maybe these safe injection sites are providing users with safe and clean needles, which is good. But it also works as a networking centre of sorts. You meet like minded junkies who are happy to live that life. So instead of trying to change or seek help they keep on living for that next high. And probably fall deeper down that spiral.

Once again I'll go back to alcohol. If I'm an alcoholic is it really a good idea for me to be going to a place where other alcoholics go? They have no interest in stopping. Is it healthy for me to spend time with these people?
Do you honestly think this situation is more likely to happen at a place that actually offers addiction support than away from it?

SI sites don't create the community, but they can centralize it. They also centralize it around the safest possible place and one that offers help.

As an alcoholic who wanted to seek help, do you think your chances are better at the bar? Or at an AA meeting with a bar beside it? It's still up to you how things go, but one seems like a no-brainer over the other.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: