View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #71
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I wonder though..You said there is a user community built-up around these safe injection sites in Vancouver . And these communities encourage drug use. They aren't trying to get people to quit.

So maybe these safe injection sites are providing users with safe and clean needles, which is good. But it also works as a networking centre of sorts. You meet like minded junkies who are happy to live that life. So instead of trying to change or seek help they keep on living for that next high. And probably fall deeper down that spiral.

Once again I'll go back to alcohol. If I'm an alcoholic is it really a good idea for me to be going to a place where other alcoholics go? They have no interest in stopping. Is it healthy for me to spend time with these people?
One of my close friends runs all of the mobile needle exchange/harm reduction vans in town. Basically, services where addicts can dispose of their sharps, get new needles/condoms/materials, whatever. It is an insane job, but let me tell you, while the first goal is making sure that addicts/sex workers go about their lives in a way that is somewhat risk managed, the close second is ensuring that drug users get help when they need it.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post: