View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #137
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
A “newbie” GM’s response to the rules.

Those complaining about this and how it’s messing up their budget really are foolish. It’s like saying you are going to plan our how to pay your bills next month because you might win lotto 6/49. The money wasn’t yours, was never yours, you really have no reason to be upset.

I think rewarding improvement over continued domination is going to help some of the lower level teams where there is a huge payroll gap. I’ve seen teams with $89, $90, $100M payrolls. I have $60M. A $40M gap is far too excessive to have in this league. It makes it next to impossible for a team like the Sharks to get ahead when already prosperous teams just keep getting richer and in UFA could outbid me with pocket change. If you want to attract new GM’s to take over some of the poorer teams, the league needed to start showing that there would be a way to improve the team while not being trampled by others. I’m glad some of you have spent years on your team, but that doesn’t give you the right to pretty much squash new GM’s due to it. It needs to be as fair as possible to both sides. One side having $100M because they have a great team and just keep winning awards and another having $60M and slowly improving the team but not getting anything for it isn’t it. I really think rewarding improvement over just being the best is a great way to keep the balance. Even the best teams can still get better and at 100,000 a point, it's still a good amount of money.

I'll take a stab at that one as its pretty much directed at me anyway. It is not foolish to plan your budget around money you have already won. This is not a lottery...I have already secured some of the awards (and am very close to securing one more) and its now being taken away. That is my contention. Overall, i agree with the concept of reducing cap disparity I just don't like how that rule is being rolled out. I get it only impacts 4 GMs and everyone else is probably happy about it; but i still don't agree in revoking award money at this stage in the game.

also, just to clarify, everyone starts with the same cap of 75M - you do not have a 63M cap from day one, its 75M and in the case of your team, you've shipped out 12M to other teams. At most, the disparity is about 15M from the team that wins all the awards to a team that wins nothing. Still a meaningful number, for sure, but that is also for only 1 or maybe 2 teams...everyone else is much closer to the 75M starting point. the idea of cap bumping on point improvement would tighten that gap for non-playoff teams.