Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
IMO they lack 2 elements that prevent them from being this:

1) elite goaltending
2) elite 2 way top line centre.

Corey Crawford is/was an elite goalie. It helps to play behind a stingy defense, but he's shown he's an elite goalie.

In 2014-2015 the hawks finished 17th in the league in goals for, but only 2 goals against away from being the best defensive team in the league.

Having Kane - Toews - Saad as your top line is one thing, but to have Hossa come over the boards with Patrick Sharp and andrew shaw is quite another.

I don't think the Flames have the horses for that but with another couple of scorers I think they could've been the 2009-2010 hawks this year, with Mark Stone being the Hossa equivalent.
I personally wasn't blown away by Crawford, though in the end, his resume looks damn good. But I wasn't thinking of Crawford as anything elite and difficult to obtain. If anything, I think of Crawford as justification for giving Rittich the net next year.

These Flames are definitely going to do it differently than the past SC winners if this roster has it in them - but I think the defence they have now plays a huge role. Maybe they're the team with a stifling mobile defence that breaks you down and plays with possession while scoring from everywhere and from everyone. Maybe it's the team that you honestly wonder if 3rd line is going to go off tonight. Stifle their top lines and abuse them when they have to put out a weaker line. Make them less worried about Hossa coming over the boards as much as you're worried about finding room for your top players against Gio. You're terrified your PP is going to let Jankowski have more facetime with your netminder. You're worried that Derek Frikken Ryan is going to dance through your D and wrap it into the net after you shut Johhny out all night.

Now, I'm not saying that I have full faith in everyone on the roster at the moment, mind you. There's a lot of personal improvements that need to be made for us to rely on anything I said - but I don't think that their model is 2 high-powered C unless it's out there. And I really really wanted Stone too. I really think he was the piece that got things done here.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote